Home Forums Fatbob Technologies Problems and Solutions – GRBL

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

JohanK – I have a spare tj6600 driver board if you want to borrow for testing purposes? and Uno clone for that matter…?

johanndp
    Participant

Andre, throw it straight, I will not be offended if you proof me wrong and please do question me.

your results bowled me a bit. So lets go with one of your suggestions, back to basics:

your current setup:
    earthed UPS to power supply unit and your PC is powered by UPS also. electronics earthed. what is your current stability?

my setup:
    direct supply from mains to power supply unit, no earth from mains and floating earth on electronics. 100% stable. if I look at my current installation, then I should be the one with the issues. I’ve literally just soldered everything together to test the system and get it working. my power supply unit with the x, y and z controllers is lying loose in the box supplied by Phillip. something worth mentioning, my UNO card is not near the power supply unit or the controllers. its actually lying about 300mm outside the box. maybe something to explore.

I’ve sent a message to one of my friends who is an electronics guru. he should be able to solve this and i’ll give feedback.

Andre
    Participant

More Johan…
    Thanks for the reply, ja this does seem to be a bit of a weird one…
    basics is as you suggested – from wall socket, lead, ups plugs into the lead, and all other equipment (controller box, PC, screen, and trimmer runs from the ups. as for stability – I did a 20 hour cut yesterday – no issues – I will however add that this is my biggest “no issues” cut to date and looks super awesome!! πŸ™‚
    I do house my UNO and drivers in the same box as supplied by Phillip, the other things I did was to drill a hole into the bottom end of the box where I fed my USB cable through – so that I have as little cable as possible inside the box (probably wouldn’t matter as it’s a shielded cable)

a thing worth mentioning perhaps – I spoke earlier about a cable that was busted, along with finding that 1 cable, I would add that there were 2 other ones I fixed as well – 1 coming from the z motor (my z – up / down was the problem), 1 inside soldered onto the stepper driver was very suspect, and then the one I found by my own making – it was only the last one that I fixed – that solved my Z problems, don’t think this is related to our current topic but worth while having all the info to plot a course with πŸ™‚ \

Johan – I think you need to neaten your shit up man!! πŸ™‚ haha (jokes)

johanndp
    Participant

He, he. Sorry master. will do. πŸ™‚

this is going to be a trail and error exercise. I’ve also had a complex cut yesterday with different cut paths and types. no problems.

i’ll keep you guys posted when I get some additional info.

johanndp
    Participant

I’m still going through my setup to maybe find a solution. some other info, I use the EZ Cut(mm)(*.nc) when I save a toolpath on the post processor.

makerslide-admin
    Keymaster

Maybe try ours?

It’s essentially the Shapeoko post processor that got renamed….

Andre
    Participant

hmmm… so I found some value in what you guys mentioned before- 1 point particularly – tube florescent lights – causing interference.
    I started a cut – went groovy for say 30min, switched the garage light off, came back in and switched it on – everything stopped right at that same point of “light on” restarted PC, re-started cut – (lights were on when I restarted everything) still cutting….
    I think I’m gonna moer these crap light away and look for some potent led’s…. No – I’m not going to test this theory – not while the going is going πŸ™‚

johanndp
    Participant

i still stand firm that this problem is caused by some form of interference, we only needed to establish from where. it seems, many thanks to Johan K, that you guys has found a common enemy, the dreaded fluorescent light.

please report back your findings and goodluck

Andre
    Participant

… is there any easy way to eliminate the interference caused by fluorescent lights? – other than replacing them?

Andre
    Participant

some bed time reading…

Interference Caused by Fluorescent Lighting Systems using Electronic Ballasts

Modern electronic ballasts typically operate in the 20 KHz to 60 KHz range and may
    cause interference with communication equipment that did not occur with traditional
    electromagnetic 60Hz ballasts. Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) can cause static
    on radio communications or interfere with the operation of any electronic device
    especially wireless communication devices.

Types of EMI
    Conducted EMI is injected back into the power system through the ballasts
    conductors. This type of EMI may cause interference with devices on the same
    electrical distribution network. Radiated EMI is radiated into the air by the
    fluorescent lamp, ballast, conductors, or ungrounded fixture.

Methods to Mitigate EMI in Fluorescent Systems
    Proper installation of fluorescent systems is required to minimize electro-magnetic
    interference or radio frequency interference (EMI/RFI) with other devices. The
    physical distance between the devices can also affect the interference. Susceptible
    devices should be positioned as far away from the lighting as possible.

Grounding
    Proper grounding is the most important aspect to minimize EMI. A good ground path
    will shunt high frequency noise to earth, and a proper ballast ground is critical to
    meet the FCC requirements. A poorly grounded fixture will act like an antenna and
    radiate the noise externally. Most GE ballasts are grounded through the ballast metal
    case. The mounting fasteners should make a good electrical connection between
    the ballast case and the metal of the lighting fixture. Use a star washer and scrape
    the paint from the ballast mounting tab to ensure a good connection.

it sounds easier just to replace the lights…..

johanndp
    Participant

replace it. I’ve got LED lights and it work perfect.

Andre
    Participant

JohanK – are you sorted yet? you’ve been very quiet?

Andre
    Participant

UPDATE!!! for those who still have issues πŸ™‚
    Yee’ha, chaps, I come with news… I think the problem that I’ve had for many many blue moons has now been fixed – well, I’m 99.994% sure, I think a long 5 hour cut will most certainly confirm my suspicions….

After reformatting pc, re-doing everything – and the machine still cutting then just stopping in mid cut…., Phillip came up with an idea to do as follow:
    Run a wire from each motor bracket to the Ground on the PSU (on the PSU, the ground is marked as “V-“)
    So I ran these leads, did some test cutting from files that I know causes the stopping issues….. test cuts on both 3d roughing and 3d smoothing ran perfectly…. I’ll try do a LONG cut this weekend and will post an update….

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.