Home Forums Fatbob Technologies Problems and Solutions – GRBL

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

hi Guys, do not remove any other earth except the earth between your mains power (Wall plug) and the UPS, in other words, the cable from your plug to your UPS. the idea is to cut the municipal earth out of the equation.

leave the commons/earth on the controller boards, you need this connection to isolate and screen your cabling.

Andre
    Participant

Eish Johan, that’s a crap one….
    let me ask some other questions…back to basics can sometimes help ๐Ÿ™‚
    1) which version of GRBL are you using? is it the one with the dos screen that runs the commands? – if so – does it give you any errors when it stops?
    2) have you checked all your wires that there are no lose connections? – that’s where I found my issue? even pulling slightly on the wires in the controller box?
    3) do any of your stepper motors get hot enough that you can’t seem to hold onto them for longer than say 5 seconds?
    4) any windows updates that applied recently? (has this ‘stop” issue always been there or something that started recently?)
    5) any software changes that were done perhaps?

Andre
    Participant

Right – got it, only remove the earth from the wall socket cable that runs to the UPS!!

johankrugersa1
    Participant

Hi Andre

I only use easel at the moment.
    I have the GRBLcontroller361 software, but haven’t really had time to learn the program.( i will try GRBL software and see if there is any errors, when it freezes)
    I checked all the wires in the controller, but not the ones going to the motors, i think now is a good idea to check them
    The Y stepper motor got very hot, like in i couldn’t touch it for more than 3 seconds, but i did change the settings and the pot on the driver, and it runs very cold now.
    i haven’t checked the other axis potentiometers, but as they do not get hot i never checked.
    This stop issue was from day 1 about 3 months ago, still using the same pc with no windows updates.
    The only thing i did wa to download the latest easel local.

that’s about it.

Thank you for all the help and recommendations, i think it is only a matter of time before a find the problem, and i hope it is sooner rather than later.

Andre
    Participant

“from day 1 – about 3 month ago” – Johan, a tap on your back for your lesson in Patience ๐Ÿ™‚ I tip my hat at you…
    Try some other software, it’s rather easy to use, try the GRBL 361 here under the software downloads, you may need to load the Hex file too – via Xloader – you cant break anything further (I don’t think) ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve read about guys using GRBL, same issues as you, then switch to UGS (Universal G-code Sender) and the problem goes away – maybe you have in that same category, worth a shot right!! ๐Ÿ™‚

johanndp
    Participant

Johan K, re-connect the earth on your controller board and remove the earth on your mains supply (220 Volt AC). as I’ve said, you want to cut-out the earth from the municipality. The rest will be on a floating earth. no problem.

johankrugersa1
    Participant

Yes it has been a real long struggle.
    I will definitely try other software and remove the earth from the mains supply.
    i will post my findings after the change and a test carve.

Thank you again for the replies and suggestions.

johankrugersa1
    Participant

Morning Guys

Ok i removed the earth as Johanndp suggested but still freezing.
    I did however switched the florescent light on while cutting and the machine froze.
    there must be some interference. or can it be a bad driver?

I want to buy a new driver for the y axis, i see on the makerslide website, there is a wiring diagram with no gshield and a driver for the y axiz DQ542MA.
    Will that maybe for some reason help in solving my problem? the x and z axis i have the TB6600 drivers.

makerslide-admin
    Keymaster

Hi Johan

I doubt that that will improve the situation. The interference happens on the Ardunio’s USB comms section and as far as I can see it is un-related to the actual stepper drivers.

So I would save the R700….

makerslide-admin
    Keymaster

One other thing worth checking (and I am only mentioning this since I have no idea what your wiring looks like.

Make sure that each stepper driver has it V+ and V- wired individually to the power supply (in other words don’t “daisy chain” any of those connections).
    Same with the Uno’s ground pins – wire it straight to the Power supply

johankrugersa1
    Participant

The wiring inside the controller looks a little like a dogs breakfast to be honest,
    I was assured that it wont cause a problem, But now i am thinking it is my problem.
    but i am already designing a new controller box, that is much bigger and easier accessible with removable panels as i have the space and cant see why it needs to be that small.
    I cant recall seeing that it was wired the way you mentioned, but i am going to re wire everything and will deferentially try your wiring recommendation.
    And try to isolate the usb cable from the power cables better.

Andre
    Participant

Joank… drop me your number please..
    Tx
    Andre

johanndp
    Participant

Hi Guys, florescent lights do emit radiation/interference(sometimes you can actually hear the buzz it makes), so yes, this is highly possible a source of problems. I’ve seen LAN connections having problems whereby the route is in the ceiling and crossing paths with florescent lights. once the cabling were rerouted, problem solved. I’ve got LED lights which looks like the old fashioned florescent tubes, so I cannot test this unfortunately. Thing is, how far is your lights from the electronics? also have a look at one of my previous posts where they shielded the USB setup. I’ve ran tool path after loot path and have not encountered this problem at all. Its possible that I’ve done something and not realized it, which could be the answer. shoot with the questions.

johanndp
    Participant

https://github.com/cncjs/cncjs/issues/133

also, the starter in a fluorescent light also produce an EMF which causes EMI. worth a look.

Andre
    Participant

Johanndp: Something odd happened to me – perhaps you can shoot a “why it did” back….
    From the wall socket – I have a lead – leading to the UPS, the UPS plugs into this lead and the test of my equipment plugs into the UPS… At the wall socket – I undone the earth on the lead that leads to the ups power, plugged everything back up… thought I was read, but – as soon as the bit touched the wood – everything froze – did a restart of windows, undone the last mods – “put the earth back” – restarted the cut – working – been cutting for 9 hours now… No earth – no working, earth on – works perfectly….

please understand I’m not shooting holes in your theory – I don’t have an answer for this and you say “Shoot with the questions” ๐Ÿ™‚
    surely there must be some conditions that must be met, in order for the “No earth conditions” to play a role? and versa visa….

thanks Johanndp ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.